Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Best practice: writing critiques the right way


For this focus week, I was interested in developing my ability to analyse critically, and so I began by reading some discussion boards and on line tutor tips to see what they had to say on the topic.
I laughed when the first thing I read was what a student had said to their tutor. They said that it was dangerous to reveal their personal opinions to the tutor when criticising a theory because then the tutor would know what they really thought and might mark them more harshly for it. The tutor's response, was that in order to become a part of the free thinking world, a student has to bare their opinions to criticism in order to hone them and gain further experience.
People who know me, will laugh when I say that giving my opinion is not something I have trouble with! What I really need to conquer is overall structure, where I feel that I have previously been lacking in clear visualy supported evidence and continuity.
A summary of other tips I have read, I intend to exhibit in critical blogs during this week:
"The key is to develop an argument and then marshall supporting evidences"
"To make an argument and have the argument evaluated"
"A link between theoretical knowledge and reality"
"The purpose of the critical case study essay writing is to allocate the central issue of the problem, key decision makers, and to find an effective solution"
"Every idea you raise must be supported with the illustrative material such as examples, facts, and evidence"

No comments: